|This article is a stub because it does not cover all important information in the canon. Please help out our Wiki by expanding it!|
Nicholas Flamel was born in 1330, as a bookseller and owned and ran two shops in Paris, France. He lived an ordinary life, until one day he bought a metal-bound book, in which the letters seemed to be in different languages and physically shifted. Nicholas and his wife, Perenelle Flamel (who is 10 years older than Nicholas), then trekked across Europe to decode the mysterious book, which they soon found out to be The Book of Abraham the Mage, a.k.a the Codex. Nicholas studied alchemy, and had a talent for it, whereas he lacked many abilities in other areas of the arcane knowledge (necromancy, sorcery, etc.). Perenelle, though, was extraordinary in those areas and became an exceedingly powerful sorceress with an ice white aura. Flamel's aura is green and smells of "sharp mint". Then they finally decoded the Codex, he and Perenelle discovered a recipe for eternal life, known as The Elixir of Life. Every month, the Flamels must drink the elixir. As the recipe for the Elixir changes constantly, the Flamels must have the Codex in order to stay immortal. After the month passes, if they have not drunk another elixir, they will age a year every day until either they drink another portion of the elixir or they die. The use of their auras will make them age faster. If they try to use the same recipe more than once, it will speed up the ageing process. Later in their lives, they met John Dee, who at the time was one of the Queen of England's top advisors, and took him up as an apprentice. Unfortunately, one night he was led to the top of the Notre Dame Cathedral and was convinced by The Morrigan, a Next Generation Dark Elder. to join the Dark Elder's cause. Nicholas and Perenelle were forced to fake their own deaths in 1418 when Dee attempted to assassinate them. Throughout the rest of their lives, Dee continuously attempted to kill them, releasing a Fire Elemental on them which caused the Great Fire of London in 1666 and then sending the Wights of Hunger and Disease to kill them in Ireland. When that failed, the Wights wreaked havoc on Ireland and all of its people.
Powers & Abilities
Nicholas Flamel has powerful magical abilities but is feeble compared to his wife. He, however, has much Alchemical knowledge and is considered to be the greatest Alchemist of all time. Some of his powers include the following:
- Polyglottism: One of the many advantages of a long life is having the opportunity to travel the world and learn many languages. Nicholas Flamel is fluent in several languages.
- Aura Manipulation: Nicholas Flamel has learned to control his aura to a certain extent. He is able to shape the aura around his body, and uses it to power his magic.
- Immortality: Nicholas Flamel gained Immortality thanks to the recipe for the Philosopher's Stone in the Codex, and therefore does not age (though he is vulnerable to injury and poison). Unless he fails to brew the recipe each month, Nicholas Flamel may live for thousands or millions of years.
- Animal Telepathy: With preparation, Nicholas Flamel may see through the eyes of certain familiars. They may be used as spies or for reconnaissance. For instance, in The Enchantress, he uses a parrot to scout the island of Alcatraz.
- Transmutation: With preparation, Alchemysts can transform one substance into another. Alchemysts can reshape or restructure atoms and molecules, and can even turn lead into gold.
- Transformation: Alchemysts can alter the configuration of substances on a chemical or physical level. Large objects can be easily moulded into new shapes, or transmogrified into a new allotrope or state of matter.
- Biological manipulation: Alchemysts can tap into the very essence of life, and can manipulate DNA to modify or enhance organic matter.
- Elixir of Life: Through careful research, substances capable of extending the human lifespan may be created. Some recipes - such as the Philosopher's Stone - are only temporary, but permanent elixirs may exist.
- Telekinesis: Many alchemysts can use their control over alchemy to influence objects at a distance. In the Alchemyst, he throws objects in his store at his opponents using telekinesis.
Nicholas and Perenelle owned a parrot named Pedro. Despite birds having weak smell receptors, it was able to alert the Flamels of Dee's presence by the scent of his aura.
According to Michael Scott, Nicholas is shorter than his wife.
Nicholas' eyes are genuinely lacking in color, but can change their hue, as shown in The Magician when he grows visibly upset.
The color of Nicholas' aura and his status as The Alchemyst makes him reminiscent of vitriol, which was believed to purify lead, turning it to gold. Similarly, the motto of alchemy is V.I.T.R.I.O.L; "Visita Interiora Terræ Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem" or, roughly, "Visit the interior of the earth and [by] purifying [yourself] you will find the hidden stone"
Nicholas has a perchance for rock music.
Nicholas is a libra.
It some point prior to The Alchemyst, Nicholas forgot how to speak english, and Perenelle had to teach him.