- "I know about lonely. With Mom and Dad away so much or moving us from city to city, it's hard to make friends. Aww... It's almost impossible to keep them. I suppose that's why Josh and I have always been so close; we've had no one else. My best friend, Elle, is in New York. We talk on the phone all the time, and e-mail and chat on IM, but I haven't seen her since Christmas."
- — Sophie Newman while talking with Scathach about her lifestyle in The Magician
Sophie Newman, along with her brother, Josh Newman, is one of the set of twins that is being spoken of in the Codex. Sophie along with her brother were believed to be born on the 21st of December 1991, and Sophie was said to be 28 seconds older than her brother, even though he is described to be taller and stronger. It is later revealed that Sophie was in fact born in Russia around the 9th or 10th century and found by Osiris and Isis on the front steps of a building before taken to a shadowrealm to be kept safe and young until being ‘born’ in the 20th century. Before John Dee attacked and changed the course of the twin's lives, Sophie worked in a coffee shop called the Coffee Cup across a bookshop owned by the immortal Nicholas Flamel, who employed her brother. During that time, they lived with Aunt Agnes, who later turns out to be Tsagaglalal. Sophie's aura is pure silver, one of the rarest auras (one famous humani with a silver aura was Joan of Arc, but Joan of Arc doesn't have a pure silver aura).
In the first book, Sophie Newman's powers were Awakened by Hekate (A 10,000 year old Elder, known in humani history as the goddess of magic and witchcraft, who sided with the humani), and she is trained in the use of the Air Magic by The Witch of Endor. The witch also imparts all of her knowledge and memories to Sophie during the process. Throughout the rest of the books, Sophie is taught Fire Magic by Saint-Germain, Water Magic by Gilgamesh, and Earth Magic by Tsagaglalal. Sophie was also taught to channel the Witch's memories by Joan of Arc.
Sophie was raised by Sara and Richard Newman as their own child, but is stunned to discover at the end of the series that she and Josh are not twins, yet they have the same ancestor, and not the true son or daughter of Isis and Osiris. She is told that she was born in the 9th or 10th century on the Russian steppes, where survival was considered low. When Isis and Osiris went searching for a child with a pure silver aura, they found her. They bundled her up and took her to a shadowrealm where time did not pass (Josh was already there). They then later brought the twins into the 21st century, and raised them for what was to come, which is stated in the Codex. Ironically, this means that Josh is actually the elder sibling rather than Sophie.
Powers & Abilities
- Knowledge and Memories: Sophie has access to almost all of Zephaniah memories and experiences.
Awakened Senses: Sophie Newman has been awakened, or has learned to harness the power of their aura. She has significantly sharper senses, better reflexes, and greater stamina than most humani.
- Aura Manipulation: Sophie Newman has learned to control her aura to a certain extent. She is able to shape the aura around her body, and uses it to power her magic.
Master of Air
- Aeromancy: Masters of air can greatly compress and decompress air. Air can be manipulated to form tornadoes, walls, and shields. Highly pressurized air can be shaped into blades, orbs, blasts, and explosions.
- Exnomophis: Masters of air can alter the balance of the components that make up air.
- Flight: Masters of air can fly by manipulating air currents.
- Manipulation of Weather: Masters of air can create powerful tornadoes, hurricanes, twisters, whirlwinds etc.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of air can change the temperature of air, either freezing it or heating it to extreme temperatures.
- Typhokinesis: Masters of air can manipulate air particulates, such as smoke, mist, and clouds.
Master of Earth
- Lithomancy: Masters of earth can create, form, and move earth at will.
- Phytokinesis: Masters of earth can create and manipulate earth-based life, such as plants.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of earth can manipulate the temperature of earth, causing it to boil and turn into a molten state.
- Transmutation: Masters of earth can alter the composition of earth.
Master of Fire
- Healing: Masters of fire can heal certain types of wounds with fire by fusing and reforming tissue.
- Pyromancy: Masters of fire can create, extinguish, manipulate, move, and throw fire. Fire can be formed into shapes.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of fire can greatly heat an object or enemy with a touch.
- Welding: Masters of fire can melt and fuse stone, metal, and many other substances.
Master of Water
- Hydromancy: Masters of water can create, move, and shape water into nearly any shape or form imaginable.
- Manipulation of Bodies of Water: Masters of water can manipulate rivers and oceans, such as impacting tidal currents, causing floods, and creating waves.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of water can manipulate the temperature of water, causing it to boil or freeze.
- Weather Manipulation: Masters of water can create rain, clouds, and storms.Template:Enchanter